[Flac] Solution to single-file CD archiving, with cue sheets

Eric Gillespie epg at pretzelnet.org
Wed Oct 27 20:36:21 PDT 2004

I discovered FLAC earlier this year, and wrote flac-archive to
archive my CDs to single FLAC files.  I've been archiving my
collection for months now, and have gotten it to a reasonable
level of stability and robustness.  I recently looked over this
list's archive and saw a number of questions about doing this,
with no clear solution emerging.  So, here i am to offer my
meager tools.

    http://diplodocus.org/projects/audio/

At first i used cdrdao to generate the cue sheets, as some others
have talked about doing.  However, it crashes on a number of my
discs.  I took the TOC-reading code from MusicBrainz and turned
it into mkcue, which works on all the discs i've fed it.
flac-archive now uses this to generate cue sheets.

Also included is flac2mp3, which transcodes one of these
single-file FLAC archives into one VBR MP3 per track.  This means
you can play FLAC files on your home equipment, and MP3s on your
PowerBook and iPod.

You can download both flac-archive and mkcue from the web page
above.  You will need Perl >= 5.6, the MusicBrainz::Client Perl
module, cdparanoia, and GNU make.  flac2mp3 additionally requires
LAME.

Hopefully people will find this of use.

Eric Gillespie <*> epg at pretzelnet.org