[Flac] best params for safe archiving, 192kHz no-lax and w64 support

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Mon Oct 11 16:05:59 PDT 2004

> > My last question - is there any chance for flac to support w64 files?
> > That would be cool since it would allow to compress >2Gb files.
> > (not sure if flac can compress >2Gb raw files)
> > See http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/ for reference.
>
> never heard of w64 before now.  if it's close to WAVE it's
> more likely.  is there a spec?

Erik de Castro Lopo, the author of libsndfile told me that there are
other differences aswell such as all chunk markers being 16 bytes
instead of 4 bytes and all chunk lengths being uint64_t instead og
uint32_t. That raises a question, why not use libsndfile for input files
in flac? :)
That would enable to process WAV, AIFF, BWF and W64 which would be
impressive.

Marek