[Flac] best params for safe archiving, 192kHz no-lax and w64 support

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 13:41:33 PDT 2004

--- Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'd like to ask what the best options are for safe 24bit 96kHz
> archiving. Currently i'm only using -8 but there are also some other
> options like block size etc. Can anyone suggest?

I haven't heard of anyone using FLAC for 192khz, so you'll
probably just have to experiment.  when you have some results,
let me know so I can tune the defaults better.

for high sample rates, tweaking -b and -r (and to a lesser extent
-l) is important

for high resolutions (24bit), -l, -e, -p, -q are relevant.

> Also i'd like to ask whether a no-lax 192kHz mode is planned in flac,
> seems like 192kHz isn't directly supported although flac can compress
> such rate in lax mode.

no, it's a limitation of native FLAC.  if the only reason to
use --lax is for 192kHz, the files will still be streamable
but some hardware players may not support a sample rate that
high.

> My last question - is there any chance for flac to support w64 files?
> That would be cool since it would allow to compress >2Gb files.
> (not sure if flac can compress >2Gb raw files)
> See http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/ for reference.

never heard of w64 before now.  if it's close to WAVE it's
more likely.  is there a spec?

Josh