[Flac-users] Verify Failures

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 17:24:01 PDT 2003

--- Curt Sampson <cjs at cynic.net> wrote:

> So I'm getting errors like the appended one for about one out of
> every
> four CDs I encode. If I delete the half-created flac file and try
> again,
> it works the second time. Is flac non-deterministic? Or do I have
> some
> serious problems here?

so far, all non-repeatable error reports like this that I know of
have turned out to be hardware problems, usually due to overclocking/
overheating or bad memory.

I think someone has posted links memory testing programs before.
you could try to see of something other than flac doesn't work,
e.g. "while true ; do cat bigfile | bzip2 -9 | bzip2 -t ; done"
(/dev/random doesn't seem to spit out values very fast).  or
some other thing that will use a lot of memory and be sensitive
to errors.

Josh