[Flac-users] Re: Settings to get the best compression

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Thu Jun 12 07:05:09 PDT 2003

Josh suggested to Chris:

>   flac --super-secret-totally-impractical-compression-level

Now it's not a secret any more!  (OK, to those who can read the code, it
never was.)

> No joke,

The existence of the option isn't, but its performance pretty much is,
as Josh admitted:

> ... but you will soon find out that it is not worth it and will go
> back to -8.  The -# options are already well tuned for CD audio.

No kidding.  I asked almost the identical question several months ago,
and a member here [whose name I am embarrassed to forget -- first name
might have been Miroslav?] suggested pretty much the same options as
those to which --super-secret-totally-impractical-compression-level
expands (just a different second value for -r).  Many of the .wavs did
not compress as well as they had at plain old -8.  I finally got
sufficient compression, surprisingly, by encoding at -8 and then zipping
the .flac files together.