[Flac-users] Help with Streaming FLAC via httpd

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 22:37:01 PST 2003

--- Mark Rudholm <rudholm at hyperreal.org> wrote:
> Using the 1.0.4 versions of the FLAC decoder plugin for both
> XMMS (under Linux and FreeBSD) and WinAMP (under Win2k and WinXP)
> I can't get streaming to work from a web server.
>
> Has anyone actually done it or seen it done?  If so, do you
> have a URL I can look at?
>
> I have tried setting my web server's MIME type for served flac
> files to both audio/flac and audio/x-flac.  I am not using a
> web browser, I am simply opening the URL directly from within
> XMMS or WinAMP, so the question of web browser configuration
> is eliminated.
>
> With XMMS, the player just repeatedly tries to pre-buffer data
> but never actually plays any sound.  With WinAMP, I get an error
> dialog that says "invalid/missing FLAC metadata" when I try to
> add the URL to my playlist.
>
> My guess is that the plugin only knows how to read the mandatory
> STREAMINFO metadata block from a filesystem and fails when the
> data is streaming in via a TCP socket.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Right now none of the plugins can handle streaming, only because
I don't really know how to do it.  The plugins first check for
STREAMINFO as a matter of course to determine if the file is
valid, but the decoders themselves don't really need it; you
should be able to feed them data and they will sync up auto-
matically.

Josh