[Flac-users] Re: settings for tighter compression than -8?

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Sun Apr 13 10:45:03 PDT 2003

 > Ah, sorry for wasting your time and electricity.

Seriously, thank you for the advice.  The waste was strictly my own.  I
thought of zipping the JPGs before I posted the question, so why didn't
I think of zipping the FLACs until later?

 > I have tried few files, but all were smaller than with -8.  Can you
 > send me one small track which came out larger?

Sorry, I no longer remember which they were.  The tracks that did better
under the options you suggested than at the -8 preset tended to be among
the smallest, and it was the larger ones that fared more poorly, so I'd
have to send you some of the larger ones, and my uplink is not that wide
(I'm lucky to send a meg a minute).

I had said,

 >> ... so I tried -r 16 on the eight tracks that had benefited before.
 >> All of the first four came out larger at -r 16 than at -r 10 ...

and Miroslav respnded,

 > This should not be larger, really.

Maybe I did something wrong?

The same situation arose yesterday, but the longest track was entirely
in off-center mono.  I converted it with GoldWave to straight mono
(which is less annoying besides), and then the FLACs and the JPGs all
fit easily, and there no need for zipping this time.