[Flac-users] settings for tighter compression than -8?

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Sun Apr 6 14:41:03 PDT 2003

If processing time is not a big factor -- say, I could put up with four
to six times the duration of compressing at -8 -- what command-line
settings could one use to get even more compression?

I have a case where the FLACs encoded at -8 are about 653.3 MB, but the
set comes with artwork whose jpegs are 50.5 MB (I tried zipping the
jpegs, realizing it would do very little, and the zip file still came to
50.1 MB).  Any hope of squeezing the FLAC files a little more to get the
total down to 703.12 MB to fit onto a CDR?  My hardware doesn't support
overburning, and I don't want to cut the resolution of the jpegs.

Thanks for any assistance.