[Flac-users] Re: FLAC 1.0.4 problems

Alec Wood alecwood at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 28 10:40:03 PST 2002

As a follow-up to my original post:

> I also can't get other FLAC-aware apps to compile against the new FLAC.
> Specifically flac-tools 0.1.1 and alsaplayer-0.99.72.

Alsaplayer compiles fine against FLAC 1.0.3 -- I'll try to get the
developer(s) of that app to update to 1.0.4.

flac-tools is a more complicated story.  The first obstacle is that the
configure script contains a bug -- it fails to link the math library
where it should.  Line 951 in the configure script reads

  LIBS="-lFLAC  $LIBS"

when it SHOULD read:

  LIBS="-lFLAC -lm $LIBS"

Additionally, I'm quite sure that flac-tools 0.1.1 doesn't work with any
version of FLAC newer than 1.0.2, in that I can get it to compile
against 1.0.2 and nothing newer.  However, even having gotten it
compiled, I can't run it usefully.  On a Linux/PPC system I can run the
app but it only outputs noise, and on a Linux/x86 system the app
invariably bombs out with a seg fault.  Oh well.

-- Alec