[Flac-users] FLAC 1.0.4 problems

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 16:31:02 PDT 2002

--- Alec Wood <alecwood at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I'm having a number of problems related to building the latest FLAC
> release.  My build environment: Linux, PPC, gcc 2.95.3
>
> The first has to do with with builing FLAC itself... specifically I
> can't get id3lib support to build.  Whether or not I specify the
> location of the headers and libraries, the config.log turns up this:
>
>   configure:9361: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -INONE/include   conftest.c
>  -lid3 >&5
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to `cerr'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to `uncompress'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to `iostream::ios
> virtual table'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to
> `ostream::tellp(void)'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to
> `fstreambase::close(void)'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to `endl(ostream &)'
>   /usr/local/lib/libid3.so: undefined reference to `ios virtual
> table'
>
> ...etc, etc, etc...
>
> What version of id3lib is being used in development?  I've got a
> totally
> stock build of 3.8.0 -- should I try something older?

I built with 3.8.0.  Other people have had problems with the
id3lib test.  I'll look into it more, but one thing I notice
right away is that the missing symbols are from the stdc++
library; it looks like the test prog is linking via gcc instead
of g++.

> Except for that, FLAC builds and runs fine, BUT...
>
> I also can't get other FLAC-aware apps to compile against the new
> FLAC.
> Specifically flac-tools 0.1.1 and alsaplayer-0.99.72.
>
> In the case of flac-tools, I get the same error that Ruslan Opritz
> reported.  The configure script logs the following errors:
>
>   /usr/local/lib/libFLAC.so: undefined reference to `log'
>   /usr/local/lib/libFLAC.so: undefined reference to `floor'

Those are in libm.a.  Even then, the last release looks
almost a year old so I doubt it is up to date.  It's maintained
by another person.

> In the case of alsaplayer, the configure script is happy, but upon
> running make, it barfs with these errors:
>
>   g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../alsaplayer
> -I/usr/local/include -D_REENTRANT -c FlacFile.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> FlacFile.lo
>   FlacFile.cpp: In method `bool Flac::FlacFile::open()':
>   FlacFile.cpp:117: implicit declaration of function `int
> Flac::FLAC__file_decoder_process_metadata(...)'
>   FlacFile.cpp: In method `bool Flac::FlacFile::processOneFrame()':
>   FlacFile.cpp:150: implicit declaration of function `int
> Flac::FLAC__file_decoder_process_one_frame(...)'
>   make[3]: *** [FlacFile.lo] Error 1

The libFLAC API changed in 1.0.4 enough to break the FLAC support
in alsaplayer.  It had to be done but there will be much less of
that in the future.  It is relatively easy to fix if you pass the
errors on to the author.

Josh