[Flac-users] Problems with configure

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 21:30:01 PST 2002

--- "martin at kfib.org" <martin at kfib.org> wrote:
> I compiled flac today and at first I didn't succeed very well. The
> binary was built and all, but each time I tried encode a wav-file,
> the
> only result was:
>
> > flac 1.0.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002 Josh Coalson
> > flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and
> you are
> > welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac'
> for details.
> >
> > Segmentation fault
>
> I tried to disable the asm-optimisations but that didn't help at
> all. I pondered the fact that configure did warn me that I didn't
> have
> ogg, id3 or xmms installed (which is only partly true, I didn't have
> the devel-RPM:s installed), and wondered if this might be the
> cause. Therefore in the good old tradition of trial and error, I
> tried
> with installing libogg-devel and voilá! No more segfaulting flac! May
> I suggest that configure treats the lack of ogg a bit more serious
> than just writing a warning? ;>

Yes, there was a bug in 1.0.4 that could cause a crash if built
without Ogg support; that has been fixed.

> Oh, since I'm already reporting, another thing I had a problem with
> is
> that the build fscks up if you have support for xmms and you aren't
> building the binaries as root. I prefer to not build all the software
> as root and thus usually use the PREFIX-argument. When I ran make
> install, it bugged out because it couldn't write to
> /usr/lib/xmms/Input/ (Natürlich!). Now, thankfully I have the
> root-password to this machine (since it's my workstation at home),
> but
> if I hadn't had it (like at work), it would've been much harder to
> build the xmms-module.

Yeah, I don't know a good way around this... if /usr/lib/xmms/Input/
is writable only by root you will have to know the root password
at some time to install the plugin.  Maybe it's easier to do
'sudo make root' then chown the stuff in $PREFIX.

> And so, another thing. Is there any flac123 (like ogg123's
> mpg123-lookalike) or are anyone working on one?

There is http://flac-tools.sourceforge.net/ but I think that
has atrophied.  You could try contacting the author about it.

> Finally, encouragement (mandatory): GOOD WORK! I haven't toyed with
> it
> much yet, but so far I really like what I've seen! It will definitely
> be useful to compress my liverecordings. :>

Thanks, glad to hear it :)

Josh