[Flac-users] Stuttering over NFS & Samba

Neologism Neologism at POBox.COM
Sun Feb 3 19:16:02 PST 2002

I've got an Allwell set-top box
(http://www.gctglobal.com/Products/Set_Top_Box/set_top_box_0.html)
connected to my entertainment center (stereo + TV) running a 2.4.17
kernel.  I'm eagerly looking forward to running Boss Ogg
(http://bossogg.sourceforge.net/) on it to play my music collection
encoded in FLAC.  None of my music files are on the set-top box, they're
all on a server connected by a dedicated 100BaseT line.

My problem is when playing a song encoded with FLAC, I get stutters and
skips.  I don't think this has anything to do with FLAC, I think it's an
NFS (Samba too) problem.  This happens both with xmms and with flac123.
It seems to me that a dedicated 100Mbps line should be sufficient for
real-time streaming of FLAC data, but I suppose the protocols I'm using
(NFS and SMB) weren't designed for streaming.

Can anyone give me any suggestions for how to address this problem?
Should I use a different network file system protocol, or somehow stream
the FLAC files using a stream protocol?  Any hints are welcome.  I feel
like I'm so close to music server nirvana!

Neologism