[Flac-users] viewing the fingerprint?

David W. Tamkin dattier at panix.com
Tue Aug 27 22:56:03 PDT 2002

An enthusiastic FLAC user on another list to which I subscribe said that FLAC
has a function to display on screen the stored fingerprint that a FLAC file
has of its source WAV.  That sounds wonderful, because it allows a user to see
whether two differing FLAC files might come from the same WAV but have been
compressed with different sets of options, and therefore they would decompress
to identical WAVs.  Merely verifying that a FLAC file will decode to the WAV
that matches its own stored fingerprint tells you that the FLAC file is a
valid one, but for all you know, since it is déclassé to use MD5 files with
FLACs, it could be a valid FLAC encoding of some other song than the one you
expect.

Unfortunately, I can't find any mention of this feature in the documentation
nor in the front-end's help.  How does one display the fingerprint, or is
there no such feature?