[Flac-users] BIG Problem!!! Help please!

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 4 12:08:11 PDT 2002

--- David Mays <maasman5 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yeow! I have many files that have become unplayable. They are almost
> (but not always) the files of
> an entire CD. The error I get is FLAC_STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_LOST_SYNC.
> They played until recently
> using WinAmp and PhatNoise. They will not decode, returning a 0
> error. I recently re-installed
> Windoze (XP Pro) if this might be a cause, but many of the files I
> had before the reinstall still
> do play. Thouroughly anti-vi'ed using Trend Micro's Housecall, no
> virus.
>
> If you know what might have caused this is there a simple fix?
> Otherwise I'll have to re-wav and
> re-flac everything. Several wasted hours and one unhappy camper if I
> can't fix this.

I'm not sure why this would cause a problem.  If the PhatNoise
software provides the libFLAC library and they have changed the
library in some way then that might be a problem source.

If any of these files were encoded with an alpha (pre-1.0) version
of FLAC they may not be forward compatible.

Some people have reported sporadic problems with the combination
of win2k and k6-II systems.  But you said you were going from
win2k to XP.

You could try getting a discussion going in the PhatNoise forums:

http://www.phatnoise.com/forum/

Josh