[flac-dev] Feedback on implementation of decoding of chained streams

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Tue Sep 3 18:23:51 UTC 2024

Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> There are still a lot of things that can be improved in libFLAC, so I
> think I'll leave it be for a while when this works. I agree it is not
> efficient, but for now, chained ogg is a niche use case for FLAC. I'd

Incremental steps are usually best. I think mostly you want to avoid
painting yourself into a corner API-wise. I haven't thought deeply about
whether your current proposal does that, but at least considering how
you would extend it to support the things I described should help
identify blockers and whether you will need additional ABI breaks, etc.
It's worth at least reading through the code I pointed to with those
things in mind.