[flac-dev] Feedback on implementation of decoding of chained streams

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Sun Sep 1 21:48:19 UTC 2024

brianw wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2024, at 12:44 PM, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
>> Everything works, but as is with any change to the API, I don't know
>> whether it is convenient for API users other than the flac command
>> line tool. So, I'd like some feedback.

I only looked briefly, but I had a few questions.

How does FLAC__stream_decoder_get_total_samples() work for chained
streams? I.e., is there a way to get the total samples for all chained
links (to know what the range of valid values for target_sample is for
seek_to_absolute_sample_())?

Since chained streams can have different sample rates, how would one go
about seeking to a specific _time_?

Am I reading the seeking implementation correctly that the only way to
seek to a future link is to scan forward through all of the file data?