[flac-dev] Feedback on implementation of decoding of chained streams

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 19:44:58 UTC 2024

Hi all,

As some of you may know, the Ogg container is allowed to be 'chained',
meaning Ogg files or streams can simply be concatenated into a single
file or stream. This is something the vorbis and opus tools have
supported for some time, but FLAC hasn't.

Anyway, there are a few internet radio stations using chained Ogg FLAC
streams, and I was for a few years getting requests (and some
rudimentary implementations) to get this implemented. I've taken this
up the past few weeks and the result is quite a large change to the
current code base and some API changes.

Everything works, but as is with any change to the API, I don't know
whether it is convenient for API users other than the flac command
line tool. So, I'd like some feedback.

Proposal is here: https://github.com/xiph/flac/pull/735

Kind regards, Martijn van Beurden