[flac-dev] C API: How to get a seektable for very long files?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 12:44:23 UTC 2024

Op zo 20 okt 2024 om 03:08 schreef Stefan Oltmanns <stefan-oltmanns at gmx.net>:

> I'm not sure what else there could be in "STREAMINFO_EXT" except for
> total samples and sample rate, but maybe there is some other use for (at
> least partially) backward-compatible flac extensions.
>
> Adding that to ffmpeg would also be rather simple.

As with any such change, it will take a lot of time to bring all
applications up to date. As you say, a lot of applications use
ffmpeg/libavcodec instead.

A much easier solution, which works with ffmpeg right out of the box,
even with older distributions (such as Ubuntu 22.04 you mention) is to
use the wavpack codec instead of flac. It supports samplerates up to 1
GHz, has an arguably better way of seeking, supports a 40 bit number
for samples and has a non-perceptual lossy option which might actually
work very well for your usecase.
hz

A lot of editing applications supporting FLAC also support Wavpack,
often through ffmpeg. The only downsides are that the 40 bit sample
number seems a hard limit and decoding is a bit slower. The 40-bit
number still correlates to 7.5 hours at 40MHz though.