[flac-dev] Question about FLAC encoder behaviour

Hot Music Fan hotmusicfan at mail.bg
Thu Feb 1 20:48:50 UTC 2024

Hello all!

I have a question about the FLAC's reference implementation encoder.
So I have the following use cases:
I have tested both flac 1.3.2 and flac 1.4.3 on reencoding existing .flac
files with the -f option. There are cases in which I try to reencode .flac
files which are compressed by other FLAC implementations (ffmpeg's one for
example) which seems to deliver better compression on some material than
the reference implementation.

In these cases, flac 1.3.2 gives an error for failed compression ("ratio
must be ≤ 1.000" message) and writes bigger file than the original one,
while flac 1.4.3 recompresses without giving the error , otputting ratio
bigger than 1.000.

My question is whether these behaviours are normal and is there a risk for
corrupting the audio material because of some error? Because it seems to me
that regardless giving an error or compression ratio change or not both
flac 1.3.2 and 1.4.3 are actually finishing the compression?

I've tested the output files with -t and none of them had problems so
far.

Thank you in advance for your time! Greetings! :)

Have a nice day! :)