[flac-dev] Permit running tests as root

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Thu Sep 29 19:08:15 UTC 2022

Martijn van Beurden:

> > Some people build software and run the regression tests as root.
> > (Possibly in some restricted environment.)
> >
> > <packager hat>I've been asked to make sure this works.</>
>
> Please provide a rationale. As Brian points out, this is generally frowned
> upon.

It's for FreeBSD's packaging of third party software.

* By convention, it should be possible to build a package as root.
* If upstream provides regression tests and those run cleanly,
  they should be hooked up and run by default in a standard build.

Combine both, and you end up with running "make check" as root.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de