[flac-dev] Looking for users of --keep-foreign-metadata

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Mon Oct 31 05:21:19 UTC 2022

> - There is a generally-accepted industry practice concerning these
> extra chunks that points out that it's problematic to preserve all
> types of chunks when editing the audio. For example, a visual overview
> or a cue list might easily become incorrect if the audio is changed.
> Of course, there are some chunks that can always be preserved, like
> original recording date, name of engineer, etc., but FLAC cannot know
> how to distinguish between the two types. My opinion is that FLAC
> should not suffer from this category of issues because the audio is
> specifically unchanged by the compression. Thus, it should be the case
> that all meta data can be preserved without risk, since the audio is
> also preserved exactly.

I think the validity or correctness of the metadata is the
responsibility of the user and the software they use, not FLAC's. If I
edit the audio and the software I use doesn't keep track where a cue
should be it is not FLAC's fault.

What FLAC should do is to keep anything deemed to be metadata. An
example would be when some sort of corruption happens and I dont have
the time now to look at it, but want to archive the file for future
analysis

> B) When --keep-foreign-metadata is added as an option, I believe FLAC
> should strive to preserve all bits of the input file, and I believe
> that the feature should allow that (although perhaps the code might
> need some modifications).

Agreed.

Federico Miyara