[flac-dev] Looking for users of --keep-foreign-metadata

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sun Oct 30 17:57:09 UTC 2022

Martijn,

I'm a user of the feature. My case usage is the following; I record
speech and music with a digital recorder (Zoom H4n) which uses a special
wav format version including BEXT information, a kind of metadata
including, for instance the device used to create the wav file. As I
then process this file, I want to keep an exact copy of the original
material for archival purposes.

The feature works properly most of the time. The only exception is when
one tries to decode, enabling the feature, something that hasn't been
encoded enabling the feature (for instance, if when encoding I forgot
enabling it). In that case an error appears indicating that there is not
foreign metadata and it is necessary to uncheck the option and start over.

I think in that case the decoder should simply proceed to decode
ignoring the request, just considering "no foreign metadata" as a
special case of empty foreign metadata. Or it could issue a warning but
proceed after the user accepts.

Personally I have found very few cases where the decoding differs from
the original, and, if I recall correctly, the problem arose from a
certain file corruption.

Once more, thanks for the exceptional tool that FLAC is and for
maintaining it.

Regards,

Federico Miyara