[flac-dev] Build systems to keep

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 18:22:16 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Currently flac has 4 build systems: autotools (configure.ac), CMake,
Makefile.lite and Visual Studio files. I think this is too much and
like some opinions on which to remove.

I propose to remove the Visual Studio files (a mention has already
been put in the changelog and README of the 1.3.4 release that they
will be removed) because that was already planned. CMake takes over
the role of providing a build system for Visual Studio. As recent
releases of Visual Studio actually feature integration of CMake, one
could see CMake as being 'endorsed' by Microsoft. Visual Studio users
will get a better maintained and configurable build system instead of
the rigid files flac provides right now.

I'd also like to remove the Makefile.lite build system. From a remark
in the README it seems it was at some point created to provide an
alternative or back-up for the autotools build system, but a much more
flexible alternative is now available: CMake.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Kind regards,

Martijn van Beurden