[flac-dev] 64-bit residuals

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 07:23:00 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 04:02:11PM +0200, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> Granted, it won't provide the best possible compression, but 32-bit
> PCM is itself already an extremely inefficient format. So I think the
> choice here is between slightly better compression and a simpler
> encoder versus backward compatibility with a lot of decoders and no
> added decoder complexity.

Can you post some examples of the impact on compression ratio? Do the
samples actually use all of the 32 bits? I have no experince with
this.

If compression of 16-bit audio was limited to 16-bit residuals, I
suspect that would have a significant impact, so I'm wondering how it
is different with 32-bit audio.

--
Miroslav Lichvar