[flac-dev] 64-bit residuals

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 09:43:43 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 05:05:02PM +0100, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> 3) Add a note to the FLAC spec that residuals should not exceed
> 32-bit, and add a mechanism to the encoder to ascertain this. In case
> the encoder finds a residual exceeding the 32-bit range, it defaults
> to using a verbatim subframe.
>
> Any thoughts?

The third option makes most sense to me. I don't think we should
complicate decoders by requiring them to support 64-bit residuals only
because it's technically possible to encode such a stream. Decoders
can produce wrong output or reject the stream as invalid, but they
should not crash.

--
Miroslav Lichvar