[flac-dev] About SSE intrinsincs in decoder

olivier tristan o.tristan at uvi.net
Thu Jul 7 07:07:07 UTC 2022

I work on virtual music instrument ( uvi.net ) and we store all the
samples in FLAC format because of its compression level, its lossless
capability and

its decoding speed. This is clearly the best in the world and we love
it. We have a streaming engine tailored to its use.

In the case of a piano library, we open around 10.000 files at loading
time to read hundred of ms of it the file beginning as preload to avoid
latency when the user start playing.

Then depending on what the users play, we could read around 400 files at
the same time and even more in our new engine where we could up to 2000
files where we multi thread the audio rendering.

Hence even small optimization are very welcomed :)

I don't mind losing the 32bits x86 optimization are we don't have users
on 32 bits Intel platform.

I wouldn't even mind paying someone for better optimization in neon for
example.

Hope this clarify things.

--
Olivier Tristan