[flac-dev] slow on apple silicon?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:17:11 UTC 2022

Op wo 6 jul. 2022 om 18:34 schreef Scott Brown <scottcbrown at gmail.com>:

> Martijn filled me in that recent changes (since the official 1.3.4 source)
> have added ARM improvements, and that if I get the most recent code, I
> should be good.

Huh, I have no clue why my mailing program decided replies to this
shouldn't go through the mailing list, but it did and I didn't notice.

Anyway, Apple's x86-64 to arm64 translation uses FLACs routines with SSE
intrinsics and is able to translate them into corresponding NEON code. When
compiling FLAC from source, the compiler isn't able to create these NEON
routines, at least not with the same efficiency as the NEON translated from
SSE. Since FLAC 1.3.4, NEON intrinsics powered routines have been added to
FLAC.

Kind regards,

Martijn van Beurden

(I can't get the most recent code to compile, but that's a different story
> I suppose)

If you suspect that compilation doesn't succeed because of some issue with
the FLAC code, please let me know.