[flac-dev] slow on apple silicon?

Scott Brown scottcbrown at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:48:24 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I've got a question regarding Apple Silicon chips and flac encoding. I'm
not seeing the speed I think I should be seeing

I compiled a universal flac 1.3.4 for Apple Silicon and 64 bit intel like
so:

./configure -enable-static -disable-shared CFLAGS=" -arch arm64 -arch
x86_64 -isysroot
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
-mmacosx-version-min=10.9
-O3" ; make

Encoding 24/96 wav files to flac level 8 for a fileset i've been testing
takes about 3 minutes and 10 seconds on an M1 Max processor using the
native arm build.

Using the intel build on the M1 Max (which goes through Apple's Rosetta
emulation) takes 1 minute and 50 seconds.

I would expect the native Arm build to be much faster since it's not going
through emulation. What am I missing? Some compilation flag?

Thanks,
Scott