[flac-dev] issue with flac versions > 1.3.2

Scott Brown scottcbrown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 21:45:32 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I've run into an issue on flac versions greater than 1.3.2, both on an
intel macs and apple silicon macs. I've compiled natively for both
platforms and see the same issue on both.

With the compiled flac binary, I can encode and decode files just fine, but
the issue pops up when using a 3rd party utility called "shntool" from many
years ago.

When running shntool, I'm calling shntool's "len" and "info" functions.
Basically, shntool recognizes a flac file, knows to use command-line flac
to decode, and decodes the flac file to std out, calling:

flac -d -c -s

and streams the decoded flac data in.

on flac 1.3.2 and earlier, shntool has no problem reading in the decoded
flac data from std out.

But on 1.3.3 and 1.3.4, shntool doesn't seem to recognize the decoded flac
data as valid PCM data.

1. I hope I'm making sense. and
2. What changed in 1.3.3+ that may cause this?

Thanks,
Scott