[flac-dev] Autocorrelation precision insufficient

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jun 28 07:45:23 UTC 2021

Thanks.

I should probably start a new subject, but I have related questions. Please don't feel obligated to answer ... I'm just curious.

1) What would affect the ability of an embedded FLAC firmware to decode certain files?

Is it possible that the SD702 is not capable of processing complex predictors of higher orders?

Could it be as simple as absence (or requirement?) of mid-side encoding? (this doesn't seem that likely)

2) Is there a strict definition of the 9 levels of FLAC coding such that the level would precisely determine the predictor?

I haven't looked at the source in ages, but it seems like you're saying that the compression level might map to exact choices for model/predictor.

3) Can you explain why the encoded file should be exactly the same across different processors or implementations? I'm still fuzzy on the details, but it seems like the exact bits could still vary even with the same model - i.e. "exhaustive" implies that different implementations might stop at different points along the way.

Brian