[flac-dev] FLAC as a format for archiving non-audio (SDR) sample data?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 13:06:24 UTC 2021

Hi,

Considering the sample rate, I'm pretty sure you'll have to resort to
metadata to store that information. The FLAC format can't be extended to
store such high sample rates in the frame headers. However, the normal
vorbis tags accept any key=value pair you want to use, no restrictions.

For inserting cue marks, using a cuesheet is a rather standard way to do
this for audio, however, as these use CDDA frames for location, this might
not be the best way. Fortunately, you can define your own metadata format
as an 'application' metadata block. See https://xiph.org/flac/format.html
for more information, see METADATA_BLOCK_APPLICATION. I don't think using
an OGG container will add anything not already possible with FLAC, except
when using multiple streams, which I don't think is the case here.

For not rewriting a whole file, one can add a padding metadata block at
capture, and use this padding to write metadata afterwards.

Considering Python, there are quite a few options actually. I've been using
https://pypi.org/project/SoundFile/, but I think it is a good idea to try a
few and see which one suits your needs best. I only used it for reading
FLAC files, so I can't really comment there.

Kind regards,

Martijn van Beurden