[flac-dev] FLAC specification clarification

Stephen F. Booth me at sbooth.org
Thu Jun 25 12:09:43 UTC 2020

To me the real question is not whether that portion of the spec has been
implemented by any existing encoders/decoders but whether the spec is
broken (i.e. cannot be implemented as written). I don't know the rationale
for making the LPC shift explicitly signed. In C a negative shift is
undefined and it does seem in FLAC__lpc_restore_signal() for example that
the LPC shift is used as the argument to a right shift operation. It's
possible (generally/conceptually, not necessarily here) a negative shift
value could be used to represent a left shift. However, I know very little
about linear prediction and how coefficients are chosen and whether that
makes sense. If it really is a design flaw in the spec then it makes sense
to change it or document that negative shifts are not supported by any
known implementation as you suggest.

Philosophically my objection to changing the spec based on lack of known
implementations is that it could be artificially limiting, for example the
same argument about breaking existing decoders could be made for 32-bit
samples sizes.