[flac-dev] Support for ultra-high sample rates?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:49:35 UTC 2020

Op di 2 jun. 2020 om 05:59 schreef Con Kolivas <kernel at kolivas.org>:

> It would be nice if the flac container was
> extensible to any arbitrary value for research purposes.

Probably not the answer that you were hoping for, but because it is only
for research purposes, why not store the samplerate outside of the
container, or in the comments as metadata? The FLAC encoder doesn't care
what samplerate your material is, it just stores it for easy playback. You
can store 10MHz information, tell the FLAC encoder it is 48kHz, and add a
tag samplerate=10000000  or even samplerate=10MHz, whatever your processing
scripts accept.

As you are clearly using FLAC for something it wasn't made for, that
doesn't seem like a very big workaround to me?

Kind regards,

Martijn van Beurden