[flac-dev] Mid-Stream Meta Data Updates for ICEcast

bn at radio42.com bn at radio42.com
Wed Aug 21 06:16:17 UTC 2019

Any News to this question?

The clear answer from the ICEcast developers is, that the only proper way to update meta-data (out-of-band) on a continuous/endless ICEcast stream when using any OGG based format (i.e. OGG, FLAC or Opus) is by providing multiple chained streams – one for each logical track change.

The odd situation is now, that the standard reference encoders as provided by xiph.org (i.e. this FLAC encoder) doesn’t support this out-of-the box.

As such, the ICEcast developers and others do recommend to make the modification the client/encoder side.

You can read the full post/issue here:

 <http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2019-August/002701.html> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2019-August/002701.html

Any chance to get an meta-data update interface for automatic chained channels on the encoder side implemented?

Regards,

Bernd