[flac-dev] New ID registration

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Dec 26 20:36:05 UTC 2018

A few comments:

1) Many embedded devices that have FLAC support only handle a subset of the FLAC capabilities. It seems highly unlikely that an embedded device would have the ability to parse Vorbis file format wrappers around FLAC data. In other words, depending upon how broad you want the support to be, it might be best to make this addition to FLAC rather than Vorbis.

2) In general, changes to FLAC are submitted as a PATCH. I do not believe anyone will add the new ID for you. You will need to add it yourself, without making any mistakes that would affect the existing FLAC functionality, and then submit your patch for approval. I am not certain that this is the correct approach, but it seems to be what I have witnessed. Discussion of the intended addition is wise, of course, as you have done.

3) I am concerned that you say this Replaygain data is large, and that it is float. These choices seem like overkill for a format that is lossless, and which basically uses fixed point integers up to 24 bits in size. Can you explain why the data is so large?

4) I assume that most FLAC players will ignore this App ID addition. In other words, I assume that only your custom player will be able to apply Replaygain. As a FLAC user, I would want to know that you’ve tested existing FLAC software and firmware to be sure that adding this App ID will not cause problems with existing players, especially embedded devices (e.g. Sound Devices, OPPO, etc.). Will Sony be performing any such tests?

Brian Willoughby