[flac-dev] [Cellar] FLAC Markdown

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Jun 7 00:41:43 UTC 2017

Hi Dave,

I don't have older FLAC sources handy to check, but I believe that text like METADATA_BLOCK_HEADER was taken literally from the C language header files. These days, I believe that such types have been renamed like FLAC__METADATA_TYPE_HEADER to avoid potential conflicts with libraries outside the FLAC realm.

I don't think that the outdated labels should remain, but rather than convert them to human language text, I think it would be a more worthwhile effort to simply update these all-caps labels to match the current source code. That would be slightly more work than your proposal, because you'd have to search for the exact structure names in the latest sources, but it would be infinitely more useful to those who read the spec.

It is my opinion that most people who are looking into low-level details like headers and meta data format will all be working with one or both of the C language FLAC or C++ language FLAC++ libraries. I think that's the advantage you're looking for. The FLAC libraries have been ported to all major operating systems as well as many embedded platforms, so this C language is quite prevalent.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting