[flac-dev] Fwd: Re: Flac multi channel

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Thu Jan 26 01:30:06 UTC 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [flac-dev] Flac multi channel
Date: 	Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:55:14 -0300
From: 	Federico Miyara <fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar>
To: 	Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <tor-einar at jarnbjo.name>

Besides the fact that many multichannel signals largely exceed 8
channels, there are examples of signal packaging with many channels
which are actually non-simultaneous, independent signals, for instance
the CIPIC HRTF (or more properly, HRIR) database, which would benefit
from FLAC packaging.

The file format allows some unused fields for future use, such as the
padding block. It could include a flag to indicate a change in the
format adding one more streaminfo byte which would allow up to 256
channels (actually, 256 + 8), or it could trigger a new byte when 11111111.

There is also an invalid block identifier (127) which could be used with
the same purpose.

Old versions of the reference codec (or third-party implementations)
would not be able to open new flac files with more than 8 channels but
the "old" format could be still opened with the new versions.

Regards,

Federico