[flac-dev] FLAC compression experiment

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sun Aug 20 03:26:14 UTC 2017

"z1x2c3v4z1x2c3v4",

I think a sine wave is not the best way to test a compression algorithm
since the only uncorrelated component is the quantizing error, which is
very small.

First of all, my test for a 100 % 440 Hz tone yields 24.10 % instead of
30.66 % as yours.

Second, for 16 bit, 44100 Hz the slope is so large that if the first
sample is 0 then the second sample is about 1854 (being 100% = 32767).
This means that atenuating it to a 5 % and then multiplying by 20
probably will recover the signal accurately.

But if instead of a full scale sine wave you generate a signal that
starts being a sine wave of an amplitiude equal to

10 / 32767 = 0.00030518

(equivalent to an amplitude -70.3087 dB)

and then, after, say, 10 s, follows a full scale (100 % = 0 dB) sine
wave, then you'll find that the decoded signal is different from the
original one if you apply your method, since normalizing to a anythig
but 100 % will render the first part severely and unrecoverably
distorted. And normalizing to a 5 % actually will make the signal
vanish, so no matter by how much you multiply it, it will keep being 0.

Federico Miyara