[flac-dev] Seek failure with very short files

Luke Bradford lbradford at izotope.com
Tue Nov 15 15:10:01 UTC 2016

Hi!

We are using libFLAC++ in our project for both encoding and decoding. I've
found an issue where ::FLAC::Decoder::Stream::seek_absolute() fails with
very short files (less than 2500 frames or so.) I've attached an example of
such a file.

The failure case is in stream_decoder.c, line 3071. The comment above this
case reads "check if the bounds are still ok." The sample we're seeking to
is in range and its particular value doesn't seem to matter (we see this
commonly when seeking to sample 0.) I haven't been able to figure out what
this failure case means - could someone explain the comment and whether
it's expected that this should fail under normal circumstances?

I am not set up to easily put together a minimal repro, but I can work on
that if this is difficult for others to reproduce.

Thanks for your help!

--
Luke Bradford
Senior Software Engineer