[flac-dev] FLAC__SSE_OS change

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 11:24:01 UTC 2016

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>> The question is, what to do with the debug configuration.
>
> <sigh/>
>
> Is this only a problem with MSVS2005?

No, MSVC 2015 is also affected. I renamed __cpuid() to __cpuid22(),
and it wrote:

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ___cpuid22 referenced in function _FLAC__cpu_info_x86
fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

So, all currently available MSVC compilers cannot create debug builds
for such code.
But I have no idea are they really necessary or not.

> If so, I'd be inclined to jsut
> drop support for it. Its over 10 years old and aren't there free versions
> of more recent MSVCs available?

IIRC nobody complained about dropping support for MSVC 6/.NET/2003
during the development of FLAC 1.3.0.
But e.g. Audacity switched from MSVC 2008 to MSVC 2013 only at the end
of 2014 year: <https://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/message/32922567/>.
FLAC 1.3.1 was released at about the same time.
Maybe now it makes sense to remove MSVC 2005/2008 support... but anyway,
it won't help with DCE and MSVC debug builds.