[flac-dev] FLAC__SSE_OS change

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 09:16:06 UTC 2016

Dave Yeo wrote:

>> Yes, that needs to be fixed. I think the way it works on Linux makes
>> the most sense.
>>

> Doesn't SSE support imply SSE2+ support?

There's no point to test OS SSE support if a compiler already
inserted SSE/SSE2 instructions everywhere (because of -msse2 switch).

> The problem is that the OS has
> to preserve the XMMS registers when doing a context switch. Once the
> kernel is preserving the XMMS registers, I'd assume that all SSEx
> instructions should work.

If the OS doesn't support SSE instructions but -msse2 option was used
then libFLAC will crash: it cannot disable the use of SSE/SSE2
instructions that were generated by the compiler.