[flac-dev] FLAC__SSE_OS change

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sun Jun 26 08:17:35 UTC 2016

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Doesn't SSE support imply SSE2+ support?

Not for the CPU. Just because a CPU supports SSE, does not mean it
is guaranteed to support SSE2+.

For OS support, I'm not sure. Didn't later version of SSE add new
registers?

> I have a '96 install of an OS, it has been upgraded until end of life,
> and it handles SSE4+ instructions fine even though the instruction set
> was released more recently then the last kernel.

How many CPU cores to you have? Have you tried running more processes than
you have cores at the same time? Say you have 4 cores, start up 8 terminals,
each with their own clone of the FLAC sources and run 'make check' in all.

If the OS is not save all SSE registers, these procesess will trample over
each other's state and the FLAC tests should fail in non-reproducable ways.

Erik