[flac-dev] FLAC__SSE_OS change

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sun Jun 26 05:43:30 UTC 2016

First off, this code is horrible to read and work on. The recent commits
are the first of what I hope is a massive clean up of this code.

lvqcl wrote:

> So if I understand things correctly, the current meaning of --(en|dis)able-sse is:
>
> on Linux:
>      --enable-sse:
>          add -msse2 to the compiler switches
>          do not test SSE OS support (assume that SSE is supported)
>      --disable-sse:
>          do NOT add -msse2
>          test SSE OS support
>
> on other OSes:
>      --enable-sse:
>          add -msse2 to the compiler switches
>          test SSE OS support  (why?)
>      --disable-sse:
>          do NOT add -msse2
>          test SSE OS support
>
> It's a bit contradictory: why test whether *BSD etc support SSE or not
> but at the same time allow compiler to use SSE/SSE2 unconditionally?

Yes, that needs to be fixed. I think the way it works on Linux makes
the most sense.

> Also: are there any compilers / target OSes such that libFLAC currently
> has no way to test OS support of SSE?

No idea. Thats for other people to test and bring to our attention. Adding
support for this stuff will become easier after this code is cleaned up.

> The current code will always
> disable SSE for such builds:
>      --enable-sse:
>          add -msse2 to the compiler switches
>          disable the use of SSE code
>      --disable-sse:
>          do NOT add -msse2
>          disable the use of SSE code
>
> previously --enable-sse made it possible to override this.

Once this code is cleaned up further improvements are likely.

> > Please test compiling on Windows and anything else you can get your
> > hands on.
>
> Will do.
> MSVC 2015: builds OK.

Great. Thanks.