[flac-dev] some report on type 3 wav

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Sat Jan 23 08:07:40 PST 2016

Erik,

The file indeed reached +/- 1 (one channel is the output of a magnetic
switched device, the audio signal is not strictly on-off but it has a
characteristic pattern that saturates).

I performed the test you've suggested. I used Audacity to convert
32-float to 24-signed. The original size of 347 Mb reduced to 260 Mb,
the expected 3/4 reduction. Then I compressed it with FLAC, getting a
120 Mb file, and with Winrar, getting a 54 Mb file.

However this may be an anomalous case, since I've tested other (16 bit)
audio files and FLAC outperforms RAR.

Regards,

Federico