[flac-dev] some report on type 3 wav

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Thu Jan 21 21:58:37 PST 2016

Dear all,

I have a wav file that when I try to encode with the FLAC Frontend, I
get "ERROR: unsupported format type 3".

When I open it with an audio editor I find it is 44100 / 32 bit. I
requantized it to 16 bit using the default dither and then compressed it
with FLAC to get a 61 Mbyte file (the original was about 347 Mbyte).
Obviously, this altered somewhat the quality, although in an
indiscernible way (for me, at least).

However, as a last attempt, I used Winrar on the original file and to my
surprise it was compacted to 79 Mb, only about 33% more than the FLAC
version representing a file with half the data.

This is interesting since using non-audio compressors usually one seldom
gets more than a 10% reduction.

Regards,

Federico