[flac-dev] Flac and MQA

Matko Uibo vinyylimees at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 04:09:36 PST 2016

There is new Hi-Rez audio format avaliable - MQA  - Master Quality
Authenticated

Have anybody looked deeper into this to confirm is it some kind of drm?
Since flac is bsd licenced there should be no licencing issues. I have
heard rumors that if flac file contains pcm data with mqa watermark then
it can be unpacked but mqa data is lost and mqa capable hardware cant
decode it, since I don't have mqa capable dac I don't know is it true or
false. I don't know is special playback software needed for playng flac
with MQA data.

Here is screenshot that I found from this article
https://mrapodizer.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/mqa-what-is-meridian-hiding/

Screenshot -
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/imagehosting/755309554b2aea525fc8.jpg

Some test files - http://www.2l.no/hires/