[flac-dev] Supporting 32 bit data

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:02:41 PDT 2015

Op 02-10-15 om 20:00 schreef lvqcl:
> It looks like proper (fixed and lpc compression) support of 32-bit
> input requires significant changes in libFLAC.

Sorry for my ignorance, but wouldn't it be as simple as
duplicating every function working with the residual to work
with a 64-bit int variant instead? I know it's pretty wasteful
considering binary size, but it seems like the only solution
that would in no way slow down encoding of 16/24-bit material
but still being able to handle 32-bit material with minimal effort.

If you release a libFLAC version with only verbatim encoding but
introduce lpc compression in a later stage, this might give
crippled 3rd-party decoder implementations as soon as
compression is introduced as bugs are revealed. On the other
hand, 32-bit material will probably contain 18 bits of noise at
any given time: there's not much to compress either way.