[flac-dev] WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK is not described

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:52:15 PDT 2015

Martin Leese wrote:

> I found lots of places which state the
> SMPTE/ITU-R recommendation on channel
> order.  But all these are only for 5.1, and
> are the usual front left, front right, front center,
> LFE, surround left, surround right.  I therefore
> suspect the SMPTE/ITU-R recommendation is
> only for 5.1.

 From <http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2013-January/003581.html>:

"Tim's proposal seems reasonable but it conflicts with the FLAC documentation that says the channel ordering follows SMPTE/ITU-R recommendations.  I think we may be butting up against an area where the standards aren't clear.  ITU-R BS.2159-4 (http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rep/R-REP-BS.2159-4-2012-PDF-E.pdf) doesn't define a 7.1 layout but simply diagrams several possibilities on page 27.  DTS-HD seems to specify 7 different possible 7.1 layouts (http://www.scribd.com/doc/17630423/21/Channel-Layout)."