[flac-dev] WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK is not described

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 08:47:34 PDT 2015

Martijn van Beurden wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand you correctly, but 0000 is mono, not undefined. It
> says: 0000-0111 : (number of independent channels)-1

You're right of course.

 From FLAC 1.2.1 documentation:

0000-0111 : (number of independent channels)-1. Where defined, the channel order follows SMPTE/ITU-R recommendations. The assignments are as follows:
1 channel: mono
2 channels: left, right
3 channels: left, right, center
4 channels: left, right, back left, back right
5 channels: left, right, center, back/surround left, back/surround right
6 channels: left, right, center, LFE, back/surround left, back/surround right
7 channels: not defined
8 channels: not defined

It was more obvious that "where defined" means 1-6 channels, and 7 and 8-channel
files have undefined channel assignment. Now all possible numbers of channels have
defined channel map, so the text should be (IMHO):

0000-0111 : (number of independent channels)-1. The channel order follows SMPTE/ITU-R recommendations. The assignments are as follows: