[flac-dev] flac (encoder, analyzer, decoder) tool now (also) available in JavaScript‏

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Tue Jan 20 16:09:18 PST 2015

If there is a problem with running out of memory, decoding a file in whole will surely run into problems. I have FLAC files that are hours long, so mobile devices would surely run out of memory. In contrast, a streaming player would be able to play any size file.

You were also concerned about licensing restrictions, so it might be better to write your own streaming player. Of course, you'd still have the license restrictions of the libFLAC or libFLAC++, so that might not really help (I'm no expert on open source licenses).

Then again, I understand that there's never enough time to do everything. I'm still hoping to find time to write a streaming plugin for iTunes that supports FLAC.

Brian